.

4/15/2008

The Getaway- 10 things to say

1. I left a fridge covered in typed memo's (food, habits, emergency contact) & an envelope with health insurance cards for Ryan's mom and we were on our way to Nashville for almost 2 days. I don't think she even had to use any of the memos advise- Grandmas always have a way. I think the first day was spent crossing the streets and looking behind me to want to instinctively tell a child to "stay with me" and waiting to feel a little hand on my back. But, Ryan had no childless transition problems. I realized he walks too fast most of the time- maybe that is why I am always the one with the little "attachments".

2. Our hotel was in downtown- the city is very clean. We weren't too far from Broadway that had a strip of honky tonk's that were each showcasing different local talents. Ryan kept wanting to go in.... I felt a bit awkward being so pregnant and entering a bar. Not really my scene. He understood- not his either. But a fun place.

3. We had by far the most wonderful meal we have ever had at (Morten's). So relaxing and the food was phenomenal- worth every cent of splurge.

4. We went to the Country Music Hall of Fame (only ever need to do this once), Grand Old Opry Hotel (amazing and where we will stay upon a next visit) the Opry Mill Mall (why can't Louisville have one too?) , The Rainforest Cafe, some guitar store for Ryan, the Apple Barn, and walked and walked and walked. I brought the wrong shoes.

5. We talked and talked and talked. And laughed. And it was nice to have time to listen to just him.

6. I still didn't sleep well. I think maybe one more night would have cured me of my habit formed periodic arousal's due to children that don't sleep well. Ryan slept fine. As always.

7. We shared meals almost everywhere we went. And that was nice- especially not having to share with a child on the lap.

8. I realized Ryan drinks a lot of Diet Coke... at every meal. The doctors substitute I guess.

9. I'd take this stage in our relationship over any newlywed phase. Really knowing him and him knowing me by far beats out the initial stages, for example. Ryan, " I think that food is too weird for you, " and me, "You can have as LONG as you want looking for new tennis shoes at the Nike outlet. I will just sit right here and you can take your really LONG old time." How comforting to know each other like that, right?

10. That I really do love him. And when our children are gone I really will enjoy just him. I'm certainly one lucky girl.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You will be greatly missed at our Girls Weekend in San Francisco - but SO GLAD you had some one on one time with Ryan. You deserve every second and I am glad to hear you were able to enjoy yourself!

Vicki said...

I agree with loving this stage of life more than newlywed. The more years we're married the better our relationship is.

I'm so glad you got away as a couple. It's worth every dime and you're kids will see what's the most important--your marriage--it's a great example to set for them.

Thanks for helping me out yesterday at Costco. You're an amazing friend.

Cory or Cari said...

Oh how I await the day when Cory and I can get away without kids. I do wonder how we would interact without the little ones over time. I'm so glad you were able to do that before #4 arrives. It is quite an adjustment, but I have to say that it has gotten much better. But you have to have in house help for at least 2 weeks I would say. I hope your mom is able to come.

Cheryl said...

I loved reading about all the fun things you did. Isn't it amazing how much you can cram in a short amount of time without hauling kids here and there with you!

So fun!