It got to me this year. (Is it because it's our last while we live here?) I watched the show Jockey on Animal Planet and it added a more personal element to the sport. And then Kentucky just goes wild for Derby. It's a big deal. The race was exciting, the company and hostess even better, had a little of Derby Pie (Vicki O style) and told myself, next year, in Mountain Home, I'm hosting a Derby party, with the corn hole set up, and the race on countdown. (My neighbors are going to wonder what kind of people are they, I'm sure.) My favorite quote from the jockey of the long-shot winning $9500 hundred dollar horse was when he realized he had a chance from the back and was making his way up he told himself in surprise, "He's... gonna get (t)here!" They ran last for a good portion of the race and then hung onto the middle gate and went straight up. It really was awesome.
5/03/2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
thanks for the kind comments on my blog today.. you are so sweet. I wanted to link your b-day parites to it but wasn't sure if that was ok since you have family stuff on here..
You need to read Seabiscut.. you would love it, all about the horses and the jockeys.. the movie was good but the book was 100% better, all the history and details were so interesting.
We were hoping that derby was still going to be happening when we are there. Looks like we will miss it. Oh well,our agenda will be much more important! love you all and can't wait to see you.
I love the Kentucky Derby. I watch it every year and I'm in such awe of the racing. I would love to get up there one day. Truth be told though, I really just want a big fancy hat!
so u guys went? who did u bet on? did the kids get to go? well you might as well live it up!! you wont be in kentucky too much longer! we love you
Post a Comment