.

6/16/2009


I know. Who cares about the back of all those peoples heads, you think. I wish I could have shown it all. We sat at the back of the room, taking up one table. (That's what happens when you have family that has been there through the long haul of medical training- there makes enough to fill a table). Ryan was the last to be announced. The last of 20 Internal Medicine doctors, who were each introduced and recognized for personal and career accomplishments. Some had cancer, some had lost parents, some had come to the states and could not speak English in college- just there native language, some had grandchildren, some had prior "lives" as mechanics and accountants. Mine was introduced as (paraphrased here), "Dr, Williams is a graduate of St. George's University. He will be a Captain in the United States Air Force, where I bet he will be embarrassed when he is saluted to. He has been hardly heard to complain, or get mad, he's the same through and through, has worked hard and long and is our graduating resident who has 4 children."

I'd like to add he did publish some research. He did presentations. He was encouraged to try for different specialties from his attendings. He did have 5 or so jobs on the side to carry us through. He did recieve a reward for thanks in recognition for his teaching.

But, when Ryan got up to accept his certificate he said none of that, he thanked his attendings and the University and said, "I know many of you have asked me how I have done this with 4 kids. I've told some of you before, that without my kids, I could have done none of this. They have given me balance."

So, the picture is bad. But, I don't care. I love that he loves us so much. Enough to say so even in front of his colleagues and distinguished attendings.

Ryan's mom and dad. I am so glad they were able to be there with us.

We ended our weekend with Tanner's Baptism. Thank you all for the refreshment help (you know who you are!), and letting me borrow things, and for those that helped with the program, and for those that came to show there love to Tanner. Thank you to those who let us know they wished they could have been there. As I looked around the room, I was grateful for each person that was there. It was a special day for our family, and I know Tanner won't forget how he felt.



ps- now, onto cleaning out the house, getting Ryan off to boot camp in 10 days, and our house closing on the 10th.

10 comments:

Mrs. Schmalison said...

I bet you are so busy, I wish we could all come and help you and make it easier. I'm glad you are moving a little closer.

Carla said...

Good luck with everything, I wish I were there to help!

Amy said...

Oh this totally made me cry. I love you guys and I love how much you love each other. Lacey you are such a romantic. Congrats on all of your big accomplishments! I am so happy for you!

lacey said...

Lacey forgot to mention that I included my sweet wife, along with my kids, in giving me balance and purpose throughout this long journey. She is my better half. Thank you Lay.

Reeses Pieces said...

Wow, I'm totally behind on blog reading. You've been busy. Congrats on the offer, you deserve a quick and easy move. I bet you're so ready to go west. I just read his comment below, that's so sweet. He's so lucky to have you. Way to go to the both of you!

Jon and Julie Hendrix said...

Big Congratualtions to Ryan and Tanner! How exciting for both of you.

Jones Family said...

Congratulations on your Tanner!:) And I loved Ryan's comment about how his 4 children give him balance.:)

AnnCP said...

Hey - I cried too! Good luck on boot camp and the move. You are just beginning to go places! Love ya!

matt . lori . maya . daisy . olivia said...

Wow and I thought my life was a little crazy!! I just got caught up on your blog. Your Tanner is so handsome! How exciting for him to be baptized. I am excited for you to move to Idaho then we will live closer and hopefully get to see more of you and your family.

Don and Sue said...

We are so gratefil to have been there. We love all of you so very much. Can't wait to have y'all (a little Kentucky talk) a lot closer.