.

11/10/2009

The babysitter destroyed my house.

Or maybe, she let the kids. Either way, it was destroyed. In a matter of 4 hours. We got home at 9:30 pm and Ryan decided that he now knows what are children would do if they were left unsupervised- but we, once again, did leave them with a 16 year old girl. Emma doesn't lie yet. And Emma told me the orange peels all over the house, both levels, were from the babysitter. And the kitchen was dripping in puddles of water, the table and counters were covered in food and pizza and cheesecake. There was cheese on the couches and and the kids had climbed on the furniture in the office to get to the top of the bookshelves. Everything was out. The house was littered in craft papers and scissor scraps. I paid her (well for around here too), and as Ryan said, that was her severance pay. Never again. We talked to our kids about how we treat our home and do we do this......... to our house? As Ryan and I spent almost 2 hours cleaning it up. We argued a bit. He's always telling me to get a sitter, I always complain I can't find the right one. Was our night out worth the disaster we had to clean up? Even when I am sick on the couch the house does not reach this level of destruction. Not ever.

So, we decided, the babysitter must have had a good time. Or our children were wild. A-N-I-M-A-L-S. As in, they belong outside. I hope the babysitter just had a good time.

12 comments:

Vicki said...

If I were that 16 year old girl's mom I would want to know. If it were Meg, I would drag her by the hair back to your house and make her clean like she's never cleaned before (However, Meg would never do it, and I wish you lived here so she could watch your darling kids).

I'm so sorry about your night. Just a few more years and you can leave them alone (hopefully without the mess:).

Amy said...

Man, I hate it. I know you are as particular with your house and kids as I am. And it also stresses me out getting a sitter. It took us 2 years living here and a whole lot of talks with other moms to find the right one. But we did, and you will too. Keep trying, because I KNOW time away from home and kids is much needed.

Jarom said...

Wow, Lacey! That sounds awful!! I would be so mad if that happened here! And I totally agree with Vicki. Let the girl's mom know(and warn all your friends!)

Maybe not getting called on babysitting jobs will cause her to reflect a bit.

Sorry that happened. I hope you can find a GOOD sitter. You and Ryan sure deserve some time out together.

Mrs. Schmalison said...

Awful. I dont let teens watch my children because I never know whats going to happen. I always make sure that an adult watches them but its also nice to have my mom so close. I would watch your kids if you lived in Bako.

Camille said...

oh lacey, i am so sorry. that is so frustrating. i can't believe that girl, we would have never let that happen. i say try again, get some recommendations and then do whatever you need to to keep the same one coming. i had a standing babysitter every saturday night at 6 that way i knew who i was getting and my kids loved having the same one. good luck, i am so sorry. that is no fun to come home to.

KillmerFam said...

Maybe you should come back to Bako...I have THE BEST babysitter! The house is ALWAYS clean when I come home and the kids are happy! She just graduated from HS and watches them twice a week while we're at work! Talk to the YW president and see who's the most requested YW in your ward. Also, don't rule out the guys either! My favorite babysitter growing up was male & we've had Kyle (Stephanie's brother) watch our kids, too! Good luck!

Vaughn Mathis said...

Thank you Lacey for making me feel better about my decision to not let teens babysit my kid.

It is nice to know I am not the only one. :)

Reeses Pieces said...

Oh no, this just happened to us. However we walked in and she was the one asleep on the couch. What is it with babysitters these days. Ugh!

Kristi said...

You need Jenna. Or you could just live with your parents and then you've got one built in (but is it worth it?!?). Hey, at least you got out! MISSSSS YOU!

Joe & Jill said...

that is so bad! but funny too Lacey...... I really can't believe that happened!!!

miller said...

oh my goodness!!! i laughed so hard reading about your baby sitter story. Why does it seem like it if something crazy it will happen to you guys! I swear you and Ryan could write a book of all the craziness!! Even with family. think about it, I would buy that book!! love ya angela

Amanda said...

hmmmm.... so glad someone has stories like me!! :)