.

5/31/2010

Home of the Free, because of the Brave

Memorial Day this year.

Maybe because I'm and Air Force wife now. And an unexperienced one at that.

but,

thank you for praying for our troops. Especially in church during sacrament meeting. It catches me every time.

thank you to the Costco lady who stopped Ryan in his uniform, while we were shopping, to thank him for his service.

thank you for the discounts your stores give us, because we are active duty, and it's no lie. Ryan could make a hefty chunk more in private practice. (Our recruiter was a bit "dishonest"- we won't get into that.)

thank you to the wives I've met. Whose husbands were deployed and delivered babies alone. And for their courage.

thank you to the men and women in Ryan's squadron. who take their turn to "go" because it's about honor.

thank you to the vets. how can I say thank you enough? I just can't. but when I see you in your hats I notice you, and try to show you my gratitude. (Remember me Costco man who lost your car? )

thank you to my Ryan. who left residency servitude for military servitude, and does not complain, and takes care of a huge majority of retired vets on base for this little town. and even though he never wanted to be a gerontologist (an old person doctor), I've been told he's considered a "rock star" at the senior citizen community center here. he respects them. they love him. and I do too.

6 comments:

Mandee said...

When we see military men and women when we're out and about, my boys love to point out the "army guy" to me. And most of the time, we stop to say thank you for serving our country. And I like to thank the wife, too, because I know her sacrifice is just as great at home.

From The Grant Family- Thank you Ryan and Lacey for your bravery, loyalty, and patriotism to our great Nation. May you be blessed in every part of your lives.

Carla said...

We were just explaining to the boys what Memorial day means and the kind of heroes who willingly dedicate their lives to military service and we used your family as example!!

We explained just what you stated, that although you could have chosen a different (and perhaps less stressful) path, you guys chose the path of service to our country and that's what makes Ryan and you true heroes.

(It doesn't hurt that Ryan's a Dr. What Momma doesn't want their son to be a Dr?)

Michele said...

I don't comment enough on your blog- I am truly in awe of your family! We are so grateful for the sacrifice you and your family make to protect our country, our freedoms, and our way of life. Thank you all!!

Camille said...

Thank-you for that Lacey. Beautiful. You and your husband and family are a-mazing. I love you and am so grateful for what you both have chosen to do. thank you thank you thank you, a million times over. xoxo

Suzy Hicks said...

What a sweet post Lacey. It's true, so many people work hard everyday to protect this country.....including you! You've also got to be proud of the way your husband looks in his officer outfit (that is probably highly inappropriate to write in a post....oh well). No wonder the old women like him:)

Gavin and Shawna said...

That's rad to see Ry in a uniform. it still trips me out to see Gav all uniformed up. i remember sitting at seaworld san antonio where they did the salute to the heroes...and made the active duty military stand and they paid tribute...luckily i had sunglasses on...i started crying. i love america. although i don't always love the military life...i do love what it stands for. you guys are amazing!