.

7/28/2007

Melissa-isms, Headbows and the Food Network

I still get to have Melissa here. It is so neat to see my little sister with her first baby and watch her love and care for her. She is such a sensitive attentive mother and I feel inspired by her to better mother my own. As I mentioned before, Izzy seems so mild mannered. Maybe that is compared to my own beastly babies? The saving grace, and what keeps us thinking we can have more children, is that my babies do grow out of it. I wish I could say I forget the colic period, but that is a lie. The incessant cry seems to fade in my ears, but I do not forget. (can you hear the crying from Landon?) Melissa-ism #1: Landon crying in the car makes Melissa's "Ear Curdle". I mentioned I thought it was "Blood Curdle", but not to Melissa. Good to know.

Last night Melissa ran to Target to return something with Izzy. She came home and Izzy was crying. I picked her up and patted her and Melissa laid on the bed and said, " Why does my baby hate me?" WHAT? What in the world I thought? Izzy is calmed and soothed by her. Izzy can recognize her voice and settle. Izzy sleeps all day sometimes. I did laugh. But, Melissa was serious. It surprised me since I had been shopping with her and noticed her fussing more but nothing outrageous. As I mentioned, Melissa is so sensitive to her. Melissa said, " I hate when everyone is looking at me and staring at the store when she is crying!" I really tried to minimize the social impact for her. Melissa mentioned if she had babies like I had she did not know what she would do. Hence, the second Melissa-ism: she said I had the patience of Yoda. Yes, I said, Yoda. Like Star Wars. I will forever bear that as my highest compliment. Thank you Melissa.

As for headbows, I know my gal friend, Nathalie, makes really cute bows too (the headbands are cut from tights). Just a novice, we picked up some felt to make flowers, an idea picked up from Heather Bailey (whom my sister-in-law nanies for. I think Heather is famous, hence Jill is totally connected). Not too much effort and fun to do for my niece.
And with silk flowers




Finally, we hit this restaurant Melissa called me about months ago and told me I had to go there cause Bobby Flay from the Food Network did a show there. Lynn's Paradise Cafe. Totally quirky. Melissa had some weird Kentucky dish, that I have never had in my entire year here, and it was totally kid friendly. Glad we took our daily outing there.



And yes, that is a man-size teapot spouting dish-soap bubbles. In the parking lot. I told you it was quirky.

8 comments:

Melissa and Chad said...

Lacey I love you and feel extremely blessed you are my sister. All jokes aside this has been so fun to be here! Thank you for welcoming Izzy and I into your nurturing home. Love you!

Diane said...

OK you guys are having way too much fun I can tell--This whole mothering thing continues with so many stages and phases both in our children and maybe more within ourselves--I wish I could say that I have it all figured out but just as I think I might have I am thrown another strange curve--go figure--Enjoy the journey
Mom

Anonymous said...

Again I am SOOO Jealous!! I love to think back to how we didn't always get along when we were teenagers- the bitter battles and hair pulling fights (Melissa) to how now I count my sisters as my bestfriends. Good news or bad they are amoung the first people that I want to share with. I love you guys!

lacey said...

Summer-
uhm- I never pulled anyones hair! I recall getting beat up on.

Hey, I wish with all my might that you were here too! You would love Izzy!

Thirstin' for Thurstons said...

Holy crap !!!!! Those bows are soo cute i love them. I wish my little demon would wear something in her hair. She still has pretty much no hair and it would help identify her as a girl and not an anilmal!

Susie said...

Hi Lacey- that picture of Izzy looks so much like you! How fun to see you enjoying sister time.

Anonymous said...

You have got to be kidding me - I have that brown shirt from Target too!

You are the world's best mom! I have always envied the fun things you plan with your kids - you take the time to go on great outings and don't say, maybe next week, or when we have more time. Plan some outings and the kids and I will head out there!

Michele said...

Lacey- Sorry I have been so delinquint in writing back, we are in the midst of a move and I feel like I am drowning in chaos! Just wanted to tell you that my husband was talking to his friend Brad last night and it turns out he lives three doors down from your husband's family in Sanger!! You should have heard me yelling at the phone- YOU KNOW LACEY!! He said you guys hang out with him and his wife when you visit California, what a small world... Anyway, thought that was a fun connection- looks like you and Melissa are having fun together, I'm always a little jealous of sisters, I never had anyone to fight with :) Talk to you soon...