.

11/13/2008

Being called

About 6 weeks ago Ryan was asked to help give a blessing. He'd been gone most the week. He needed to catch up on sleep. The lawn needed mowed. Tanner was asking if "Daddy was ever going to stop working" and I heard myself ask Ryan when he called to check in "how his other home" was. It was a bad rotation and that's how it goes. But, when I got a call asking if he would help give a blessing, a couple things went through my mind. First, they must have tried others and Ryan must have been on the bottom of the list so they needed him, and secondly, I felt like saying, "Not tonight, I just got him home!" But I didn't. I accepted the invitation on his behalf, because I knew he would have said yes. That's how he is- just like all the other good men I know who understand their sacred duties.

He helped to give a blessing to a young mother of 2. She was not a member. She was sick and struggling. I've thought about her and her acceptance of this faithful gesture of love- her seemingly willingness and ease to accept an offering of a blessing. She was struggling more than I think many understand and took her life 4 weeks later. We were both so sad when we heard. I am grateful that Ryan was able to stand in and assist when his name was called. I am grateful that the gospel teaches us about our purpose and that we are divine and eternal beings of our Father's. I hope that when my name is called to help I may be quicker to help and less to murmur.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a sad story- It definately puts life into perspective. I am proud that your husband is so quick to help, many have be the recipiant of his kindness. But don't sell yourself short- You too are always quick to help. I can't count the number of times I have called when you were making dinner for someone, or had an extra child (or 2 or 3) over on short notice.

Camille said...

i don't know why i am crying...maybe it is because i understand where you are coming from, every comment, i get it. because i am there with you. thanks for reminding me to not murmur. and seriously i know you. you are always there to help someone in need, it is just how you are, that's what i love about you! you are incredible lacey, and it sounds like you had such a wonderful time with ryan's family. thanks for all the great reminders.

Jen said...

Lacey, you are one of a kind. I hope you know that. My "friend" that I referred to in my "mono" post was you. You are always looking to help others. You are always giving of yourself, when you have so much on your plate as it is! You are very much loved, and appreciated because YOU are ALWAYS there with love, and compassion.