.

10/02/2011

Ryan goes on High Adventure

Otherwise known as scout camp. As the Young Men President it seems this past summer Ryan "vacationed" more with the scouts than our family. And let me tell you there was a smile on his face as he ripped out of the driveway to get there. For this outing they traveled half a day a away to get to the snake river. There they rafted down the white water and came home 3 days later.

Their trip had been postponed once for too fast and high of water. When they officially left, I was a bit nervous. I still try not to think about the wild things they did. I suppose it is typical of young scouts, but of a mid-something 30 year old, I'm not so sure. He kept telling me he was safe. And I believed him and my lectures of "you have 5 kids to support," and, "if you die and leave me I will dig you up and kill you again," must have resonated a bit. He did come home safe. I know that the boys had a good time.

And then I saw the video of the cliff they kept jumping off. And watched all the video Ryan took, as they were rafting the white water- and told him it probably would have been safest to hold on and not be pushing record. But he smiles every time he hits play to watch his boys.


<span class=

The food was not good- they paid a company to go and manage all the details. Ryan would probably do that a little different next time. The boys were hungry before dinner one night and scavaged fresh berries.

<span class=
And killed and ate a snake, only because he told them "if you kill it, you have to eat it." Waste not want not I guess.

<span class=

<span class=

<span class=

<span class=
"Riding the bull"

<span class=

On a side note- as an adult I see how much work and effort goes into youth callings. I did not nearly appreciate my leaders enough. Mostly I never told them how grateful I was for what they did for me. And that their examples and testimony have left definite influence and direction in my life.


No comments: