PART 1: THE PART I KNOW
Ryan went to BYU and then finished at UCSD in San Diego (the La Jolla school, not to be confused with San Diego State.) He finished up in MicroBiology. We had just had Tanner and were in process of applying to medical schools. Ryan did okay on his MCAT (pre-entrance exam). Yet we just didn't know how competitive medical school was. We were jaded. Most things have come easy for Ryan. We thought he would get in. He tests very well. But, not well enough and we got wait listed and options for podiatry programs and DO schools and if "you go here for our Master of Public Health program, we will possibly take you into our MD program" offers. All good options, but not where Ryan's interests or timeline were. Also, we had application issues. One professors car was broken into and Ryan's application was stolen from his car and then 9/11 happened and mail was stalled. We just did not have things going in our direction. We missed deadlines.
So, Ryan started researching Foreign Medical School options. He went to some open houses. He talked to doctors. I networked and had a poignant experience. Tanner was born with a minor heart defect and was under the care of a TOP pediatric cardiologist. I took Tanner in for a follow up exam and the Doctor Fellow (in his specialty training) who saw Tanner and worked under this top cardiologist was a graduate of St. Georges University (the Grenada Caribbean school). It is a very clear memory to me, here was someone in a competitive specialty and a foreign graduate. From that point on I was supportive of whatever decision Ryan made. And so he decided on St. George's University. There was no delay- we got accepted and moved.
We lived on 2 islands in the Caribbean. That is a post in itself. The program works you there for 2 years and then integrates you into the states for the last 2 years of medical school, known as the Clinical Training portion. That was how we ended up in Bakersfield California. He took the same board exams as US Medical Students took and went through the same application process for residency. We ended up here at University of Louisville for his internal medicine residency- actually his first choice.
Ryan's currently a second year resident. He has about 18 months to go until he will be a board certified doctor. His residency will total 3 years. He could possibly stop training and just work as internist (doctor for 18 and up) at a hospital or practice or something. More likely a hospital. He doesn't like clinic work. But it is never that easy. He wants to specialize (ie- get a fellowship)PART 2: THE PART I DON'T KNOW
We signed with the Air Force this past January. There salary contracts for doctors are quite competitive. There were several reasons why we did this. As a foreign grad when Ryan applies for a competitive specialty spot he will not be as competitive as a "stateside" applicant. We knew he might have to sit out a year or 2 to get that Allergy spot or GI spot and inside the Air Force the game is not played like that. He will most likely get into a specialty spot faster. Hopefully. We also needed the financial assistance they could give us now and a commitment with them did not scare us. Ryan could possibly get deployed and we can't control that. But it seemed to be a fit for us. We are just getting ready to put a placement request in for where we would like to be stationed- maybe Italy or Germany. I like adventure you know? (not really) When specializing within the Air Force they pay at least 3 times as much as compared to the non-military route. We will owe them more time but, there is compensation in pay. So where we go next and what Ryan settles his specialty on is still up in the air.
That's the plan. 4 years of undergrad. 4 years of medical school. 3 years of residency. 3 more years for fellowship. Possibly 6 military years. Almost 10 years of training down and 4 more until he is working as the doctor he wants to be.And yet what stay at home Mom could really complain about seeing the world while her husband persues his passion? I would say I have had it almost perfect. Okay, minus the colicky babies. And moving is a pain. And poverty isn't fun either, but the Caribbean put that into perspective for me. But still, doesn't Europe sound fun while our kids are young? Okay, even Texas ;) we could go there too.
15 comments:
You are such an optimist! I love your outlook on life. You are more adventerous then you think you are.
Ryan is lucky to have a wife that's been willing to live in less than perfect circumstances.
I'm still waiting for a time to come to Louisville to visit - go foreign so I can visit there too! I couldn't call you every day though if you were in Europe :(
I'm just glad you landed in Louisville and are here for a little bit longer. :) what an adventure you're on!
Your blog entry leaves me exhausted. I know, I know, I am the one who should be the most understanding and tell you how fast it will all go. :)
But, whether it goes fast or slow, the thing I have come to learn is that the journey continues and the only thing that we can change is our attitude.
So keep that great smile on your face and enjoy the ride!!!
Holy cow!...when you put it all into words I think, "WHAT the HECK are we thinking?!!!" At least its not boring, like most of our family that lives in SD forever...and only travels outside to come visit our sorry butts!!
Oh, and for the record, I vote for TEXAS!!!!! Its actually cool here now... and housing is cheap. Any other things entice you??
When all is said and done, all I have to say is, HAND ME OVER THE CREDIT CARD!! and "you better be happy with your job!!"...no changing your mind now.
CHeers to the medical profession and all its "perks"!!
I have always wondered all this! Thank you for posting this, my curiosity has been quenched for now. I can't believe how awesomely adventurous you guys really are... we're big chickens over here!
Holy Moly!!! You really are a good supportive wife! I am so glad that you posted this info...I was so curious!
Now it's in writing that you want to travel. I did not hear once that you miss family amoung all of your travels. Hmmm....
You're still young in years and in life Lacey. Whatever path you choose will be the right path. Iam a huge fan of the Williams family and will be on the side lines cheering you on and on and on--oh, am I sure to come for a visit too.:)
I am right there with you. It really is a long and slow road, but as one doctor in our ward here told Rich, "They might try to kill you in residency, but they can't stop the clock!"
It's true that everyday is one step closer to the finish of their training, but I truly believe when this part is done, life will be still busy, busy, busy.
We just have to enjoy the journey.
I was deeply touched by your recent blog(this one brought tears). I guess it is because I can somewhat understand your experience. You truely put things into perspective on what life is about. I never knew YOUR story on how you ended up in Grenada. Each story is unique. But as you know our lives will forever be better because of that experience. I think you and I know that we were Just suppose to be there. Lacey thank you again for reminding me that there is a purpose in all things. You're wonderful!!
You are a good, good wifey! And I want to come visit Louisville with Stephanie!
I love your attitude! Life is much easier with a good attitude! MAtt and I are going to live in Europe someday!! I think it would be so much fun!
Hey I say take a risk while you're still young. You may never get back to Europe as a family, at least where the military pays for your flights. Go for it!
I LOVE your new design. BEEEautiful!!
I admire your faith and patience! Italy would be awesome, but I'm biased. Germany is waaayyy too COLD!
Post a Comment