.

9/24/2007

Up in Flames, Down the Drain

So I have these little brothers that did something ghastly once. I was in the 9th grade when the first one came along (Jacob) and 13 months later came Isacc. I thought they were the cutest babies to ever exist. I would be so excited to come home from school to see them and hold them and if someone ever asked me if they were mine (like they thought I was a teen mom or something) I remember being a little flattered. They were that cute.

When Jacob was 3, and Isacc was obviously 2, I left for college at Utah State. (They really have never remembered me living at home with them, but my mom swears when they really hit those rough teen years they are coming my way. So, maybe I will live with them again.)

Well, on a frequent call home during my first year, I could tell I had called at the wrong time. My mom was a bit "overwhelmed" sounding. She mentioned that "the boys" had started a fire. A plastic spewing, seriously smoking, stenchy fire. That escaped from the living room fireplace to hit the ceiling. I knew my Grandma was coming to help. What in the world I thought? Who was watching them?

Come to find out, the fire started as a small appropriate fire in the fireplace. But while my mom was on the phone they took their blankies and piled their toys on them and then dragged their blankies to the fireplace and threw each of their toys in. Hence the plastic spewing. When I came home for break the smoke damage was still present. And 10 years later my brothers still have not lived it down.

This flashback memory hit me tonight during bath time for Emma and Landon. I was bathing them and vacuuming at the same time. ( We were watching them people.) We had a really full afternoon and Ryan was talking on the phone trying to get out the door for his night shift and I heard normal laughing and saw them both. They would yell at me and I would talk back to them and there was a sporadic THUD but it did not cause me too much concern. Until, I went closer. Their electronic toys were in the bath with them! The toy closet is right by the bath tub and Emma must have hopped in and out and grabbed them one by one (I said we were watching them!) So, as I looked in the bath of toys and just a little water, I instantly thought of that toy fire. And thought once again, "Who was watching them?"

I say Ryan for sure.

14 comments:

jamie said...

too funny. This post is especially apropos to my evening since Walker had to get stitches AGAIN! and I ask, "who was watching?"!!!! I feel you on this one. :) oh and walker's fine, i'm just going to the store to get a helmet for him tomorrow. ;)

Melissa and Chad said...

Lacey!! Your kids keep giving you a run for your money...and sanity! They sure are cute though. Tell Ryan to keep a better eye on his kids! ;)

Heidi and Rich said...

It's always the dad's fault - right!!! Our thing lately is I go around the corner from the dining room to the kitchen and I come back to find chaos. How does it happen? I was wathcing/listening. They did it in silence-they are too smart for their own good. Tonight - I thought I had everything under control. I had just walked into the kitchen to grab something and my husband came home. He called me in to the dining room and there was Sammy covered - I mean covered in pudding. When I left him 1 minute earlier he was calmly spooning the pudding in his mouth. I know my husband thought I had left them there for an hour but it really was 1 minute!! That's what I get for having my kids so close together. (By the way, thanks for the comment. I decided to hide the comment since my primary president is a frequent commenter on my blog!!) I hope you are okay with that!!

The Paske Family said...

I'm convinced your mom could write a book of all the crazy shenanigans those two have pulled. They are such fun boys, we had a really good time with them in Boise. It made Matt wish he had a brother. Those two are lucky to have each other. I love the story about your kids in the bath. Too funny!

Diane said...

I still remember that day those boys tried to burn the house down. I was no more than a few feet from them--it's amazing what a wall can hide. I read the part about Emma and Landon in the bath and gasp out loud. One more reason that in my world moms will really have eyes in the back of their heads. I vote for blaming Ryan too:)

Reeses Pieces said...

That is so funny. For sure blame it on Ryan, I would too!

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh!! Could you salvage any of the toys? I am so glad that my kids are older- I know there are pros & cons to each stage. Just think Lacey 10 years down the road you will be laughing :) I also think that is should be blamed on Ryan...

Jess said...

Holy, Moly Ryan watch your kids!

Gavin and Shawna said...

Classic!! Our little innocent Shane took the clothes I had carefully picked out and ironed for a party and threw them in the bath water he had gotten out of MOMENTS before. I bark at Christian to get his shirt on becuase we're gonna be late...all to find it soaking wet!! Every day's a new prank,which I don't even think they get, huh?!!

Cheryl said...

Oh my! Kids seem to find everything they AREN'T suppose to have. Glad it all worked out OK.

I just about died when I read the fire story and your brothers. It'll make me keep a better eye on my three!

Mandy said...

That is too funny! I always leave Emma in the bath while I quick make the beds and clean up! I swear it is the best time to do it! But it is a little shocking to hear! Ok I just went private and sent you an email to invite you and it came back so I must have the wrong one...so send me an email...tinkbell5@msn.com....and I don't have summer's I don't know if she really ever looks at my blog but I don't want her to feel left out!

Jones Family said...

Lacey I love your posts--your such a good blogger.

Tiffany said...

How funny! Ok, not really -- but we've all been in a similar situation before I'm sure. It's just another testimony to me that angels really do walk with and surround our kids -- otherwise there's no way they'd make it!

The Favorite said...

Lacey.... This is "Ooooh, they're fine..." kid number three. I suggest MANY fire extinguishers in your house for number four!!! OMH!!! ("heck", for those unfamiliar) :| And, as for my sister and the boys. She had a LOT on her plate. No comment. (can you say "no comment" at this point?)