.

10/08/2007

Pay It Forward Exchange

I'm finally ready to send my boxes. Whew, finally! Do you want one? Just as a premise on how this happened. I frequent the blog of The Mandee Grant, whom I've never met, and noticed that she was "interviewed" via blog on the well-noted c jane . C jane was "Paying It Forward" (PIF) to her readers by using her personal interview skills on 3 of her readers that would be posted on her well frequented blog. Mandee was picked and according to Mandee "this was the HIGHLIGHT of her blogging life!" and in return for this interview Mandee had to PIF to her readers as well, some craft or personal like. So, myself a lurker and reader, I left a comment on Mandee's blog when her exchange was posted. I was brave. It was my first comment there. Well, she picked me. She also picked my good friend Jocelyn. Jocelyn launched her own PIF and I won that too. DOUBLE WHAMMY. And, I really never win anything. Ever. I even try to hit the mega-millions every once in a while. No luck.

So, I get to Pay It Forward to my blog readers.
Here's how it works:

1. You must have your own blog to perpetuate the Pay It Forward Exchange/Craft. YOU MUST Pay It Forward! I would love to know what the chosen do- I'm nosey like that.
2. You must enter by making a comment with something interesting about yourself.
3. You have until Monday night, October 15th. We will draw at Family Home Evening.
4. I will pick 3 of the commenter's randomly (or Tanner will). Now, I know I should technically do 6, since I won two PIF's, but I can't. Let me explain.

I am not "perfected" (so to say) in much. I can sew, but would never sew for anyone. I can't paint, or draw, or sing or quilt or make pots or blow glass or do a handstand. So, I really struggled to define my craft. This I do know about myself. I love Christmas. Hence my Pay It Forward: Christmas Package.

I did spend some thought on this (too much says my husband). It began to take over my home. It has also kept me in stall mode for other things I have needed to get done. That's why I only have 3 boxes. But, I tried my very homemade best on some items and purchased the rest. It includes: cookie cutter tree ornaments, felted snow mitt clothespins for gift bags, an oil burner from The Body Shop with a gingerbread oil, a leather jingle bell door knocker, and a well-loved treat. (HEY- Don't knock this stuff! I very much like it all!)
So, this was fun. It did require effort. I will be glad to pass this on. Especially to Jocelyn and Mandee (yes, I have a box for both of you ladies). How often do you get to give a gift of just things that you like and like to craft with no thought of what the recipient likes? Not very often. I was able to take some time thinking just about me. That's okay to do once in a while. I hope whoever gets my boxes will come to like these things as much as I do. And I tried my best, "So that in little time everyone on this planet will have some sort of craft from the heart- cjane".

If you want my PIF box, but mainly the attachment of starting your own PIF, let me know it now. All 3 of you please.

ps- thanks Kathryn for the photo
_____________________________________

UPDATE 10/9: Thanks Mandee! I got your PIF package today. It was nicely waiting on my porch. I felt like it was Christmas! I loved it all- but mostly that these are things you like. Thank you. I will especially savor the Dear Lizzie- alone by myself. And I'm not sharing. Even with Ryan. (Check out Mandee's blog for a great package description. I fear my posts are too long. )

24 comments:

Melissa {polkadot chair} said...

Hey,
I'm up for it. I'd love to PIF... but I can't think of anything interesting about me... sorry
-I'll make purses for my PIF

Melissa and Chad said...

Ok Lay, I think I can handle it now. Ever since you "won" I have thought about my likes and talents. I echo you in that I am not very talented but, would love to try! Last time I tried to post something "interesting" about myself I COMPLETELY embarressed myself. So in the spirit of sharing... I will keep to myslef and just say, I am interesting because I am YOUR sister who loves you sooooo much!
Melissa

Kathryn-nannygoat said...

Sign me up Lacey! Interesting... I recently made black bean brownies ;) but I promise I won't do that for my pay it forward! I like photography and scrapbooking and anything PUMPKIN, yum!

Heather said...

OK--I've been waiting for you to post and honestly your tales of winning the PIF pushed me over the edge and helped me to decide to start my own blog. I love the sense of community that blogging brings. Only thing is I don't know if I have enough readers for my blog--I had to get my MIL registered so she will comment on mine.

I'm not really that interesting--but I did hit a deer last week.

And--I'll tell you something about Melissa M since she couldn't think if anything--she is smarter than almost everybody else around (maybe even put together) Underneith her crafty, chic, beautiful self, she is a BRAINIAC!

Mandee said...

That is the BEST PIF I have ever seen in my life! EVER! I am soooooo lucky!

Carla said...

I have never wanted to win something SO bad... EVER! I am not kidding. I would do a cartwheel If I won (and I don't even know how to do one). I was telling Devonn my great desire to win your PIF but complaining that I had no talent and he reminded me that I do kind of have some crafty skills. I'm good at a lot of things just not fantastic so if I won, my gift would be a compilation of sorts that I put my VERY best effort into. My only fear is that if I won I wouldn't have anybody comment on mine saying they wanted a chance to win. Okay, that was a novel and I didn't even really tell you anything interesting abotu me so I will tell you a little known secret... I have a crush on Billy Idol (yes that's right the 80's rock star lol).

Lisa said...

I would love to PIF if I am chosen.(Go Tanner!) Something interesting...I guess more funny about myself was when I was a sophmore in highschool I had 3 other siblings also attending. My mom had the first 4 of us in 4 years. When I was a sophmore my older sister was a senior, my older brother a jr., and my younger brother a freshman. The story is... we all were in a band class together for that 1 year.(Hey.. how many people do you know that had that many siblings in highschool and inthe same class??)

This is what I would like to pass along:
Things for our senses...
-something from B&B Works
-favorite songs on a cd
-favorite recipe
-gratitude book
-homemade receiving blanket for current child, future child, or just to pass it along to someone else.

p.s. I loved your recent blog! You are very funny person. Yes, industrialness is a word. I looked it up. I am amazed with their works of art!

Anonymous said...

WOW! I am not sure if I should even put myself in the running for your PIF - I know how much time, effort, and thought you put into these boxes and I want others to enjoy the fruit of your labors and talent!
However, I haven't really gotten into this PIF 'thing' and I might as well - it would allow me to go outside my own little world and brighten someone else's day by thinking of them and passing on the kindness that I receive daily!
Let me think of something interesting to share about me - I can't wait to be a grandma!, ok that was silly. I LOVE DISNEYLAND and always wished that I could have worked as Belle as Disneyland.

Marla said...

Kathryn does NOT love pumpkin more than me. NO she does not.

I can wiggle my ears - not many people can do that - it's just one of the ways I am genetically gifted.

P.S. I started a blog. It has ONE picture. No words. YAY ME!

jamie said...

i debated posting a comment, because i fear being chosen. Not because I don't want your PIF, that's actually why i'm doing it, but because I can't think of one thing I'd be able to give as a PIF. I'll have to think (and think hard). Maybe I'll just buy a PIF bag from you. ;) (I secretly do want everything you are offering - it's all adorable).

Melissa said...

I would love to enter the awaited drawing for the PIF. I, like many others here can't think of one particular thing that is interesting about myself. I like to think that I am crafty and creative (well, I am good at copying others adorable ideas). I am also am a perfectionist. This would be an ideal situation for me to catch up on my lack of creative/crafty time latley:)
Melissa (kathryn grubbs sister)

Melissa and Chad said...

Hmmm...my chances of winning this thing is seriously small! You have tons of friends Lay!

Melissa {polkadot chair} said...

aughh... look at all the competition :-)...
-Kathyrn's sister Melissa... I got all confused, my name is Melissa and my husband's name is Jeff.. I thought I posted twice LOL!!.
-Jamie... I vote that you make a digtal scrapbook for someone (or at least a few pages). I would LOVE that..and you know all the cool stuff..
Heather- you shouldn't tell people interesting things about me- it makes it hard to disguise my secret identity LOL!
Lacey- I forgot to mention before how AWESOME that PIF package is you came up with- I'm going to have to come pick your brain soon.

CHERIE said...

I think you're awesome in every way and I love reading your blog. Publishing your PIF gift in advance of the drawing will absolutely increase your comment stats 'cause everyone will WANT your wonderful, thoughtful gift, but also put the pressure on future PIF winners to measure up to you. It could be dangerous to comment on too many PIF's... one could end up like Eliza, who won 5! Does that mean she has to PIF to at least 15 people?

A few things about me you might not know:

I LOVE George Strait music.
I was an officer in the R.O.T.C.(long ago) and have won sharpshooter medals.
I have been a beekeeper on and off since the '70's, and have been stung many times, but not as many as David.
I love the smell of wood. (I made a table with a hand dove-tailed drawer once.)

If I win, I promise my PIF gift will not be dove-tailed, but will include things I love to do.

Reeses Pieces said...

Okay, so this picture seriously looks like it could be in a magazine. How cute! You definitely have an eye for stuff like that. Your PIF sounds like a lot of work, but fun too. Sign me up, it's something I THINK I could do.

Kate said...

Hi Lacey. I am Kate and I think you moved into the ward in Kentucky shortly before or after my husband and I moved out. I have heard a lot about how creative and fun you are from my best friend Lyndsie O. who shared your blog with me! And I would LOVE to win your PIF so that I can get cute stuff from Lacey too!!!

Laura and the family said...

HI Lacey,

This is Laura, Mandee's Sister in Law. I was browsing through by her blog and then saw your blog.

Besides being a full time deaf mom of two hearing sons and full-time deaf teacher,I just finished my 100 page of family photos (scrapbook) for my dad as an upcoming Christmas gift. I like to create unusual Christmas gifts for my family.

An interesting thing about me??? Humm,

1. Believe it or not, I used to be crazy over Shaun Cassidy in early 80's and went to see his "Do Run Run " concert. I played along with other girls as if I could hear his music,though I am stoned deaf. Pretty lame of me?!?

2. I once stole one of the girls' bra out of her suitcase from my slummer party and put it freezer. The next morning, she found it frozen -it freaked my mother out. I still have the time to do something mischievous even though I'm in 40's and a mother of two kids. Crazy?


That's basically about me >^..^<

Julie S said...

Hi Lacey. I found your blog through Mandee's, and I love it, AND I would love to win your PIF.

I have recently moved back to the U.S. after 12 years in Japan. I have five kids, two are Japanese (adopted). I love to quilt, craft, read, and be a mom.

heartsfullofjoy.typepad.com

Thirstin' for Thurstons said...

your stuff is awesome, i am not puttign my name in the entry, becaus im lazy and dont want to send stuff out myself, but if i wasnt lazy i would love your stuff...maybe i will just go buy it...

Lindy said...

Hi, this is my first time to your blog, but I absolutely ADORE the stuff you have made for the PIF package! Wow, what talent. Can I just ask where you got the leather jingle bell thing? There was one on our front door every single Christmas season growing up…when I saw it on your blog, it screamed "MEMORIES." I would love to have one!

Okay, about me, I'm a married momma (newly stay-at-home) of 2 kids, married to a big Tongan teddy bear, and I have strong desires to craft and homemake, but no intuition regarding the how-to. More simply said, I'm a wannabe. But I love my family, my home (and food) and enjoy blogging. You can check out my blog funakifam.blogspot.com to learn more about me.

Thanks for hosting such an awesome contest!

Melissa and Chad said...

Chad says- "That is GP (ghetto photo) we can't inlarge it to see the goods!"

Melissa- Wouldn't that be funny if HE won and had to share talents. What would he send out?

Chad says- Toe-Jam (he is such a GUY!!!)

Melissa and Chad said...

Chad- Just Kidding! I would send out; "Famous" Chocolate Chip Cookies (uh...the wife has yet to expierence), Wheelin' magizine, and a Barney Brothers hat.

Let's hope HE doesn't win!

Deby said...

Hi there!

Well, I am one of Mandee's OTHER sister in laws (she has a few). I frequent her blog and sometimes read yours. I think she has the best blog friends.

I would love to be considered for your PIF. About me? Hmmmm...I'm a 37 year old mother of three. I gave up my career to be a SAHM. I do the bookeeping for my husband's consulting company. I love scrapbooking but haven't really touched it since my son was born eight months ago. I am not a person who loves to cook so I do a lot of crock pot stuff. However, I am an awesome baker!

What else? I was an exchange student to Belgium when I was 17 and learned to speak fluent Dutch. Never used it for work in my life. I suppose France would have been a better choice for learning a language that had more usefulness.

Thanks!-

shayla said...

I LOVE YOUR BLOG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!







brayden