.

4/02/2008

"Code 13" at the Zoo & Julie


Now that I know what "Code 13" means, I think it important to share for Louisville moms like me who frequent the zoo with young children. It means large animal (cat) out of the exhibit. Code 13 was our day at the zoo. I saw Zoo Staff running really hard and it caught my attention to the point that I thought, when you run like that it causes a bit of a panic feeling. So, I was already on alert. Then I was yelled at to get to safety in the Giraffe House and I could hear on the walkie talkies of the zoo workers "out the back gate" and "too much cross interference" which I interpreted to me too many people on the walkies talking at once. Anyhow.

I had this conversation with Aunt Julie (more like a sister) after my zoo trip. Julie was our sometimes babysitter & my moms littlest sister. While growing up she told us if we put quarters in the ground, Popsicles would grow there. We did put quarters in the ground, and they did grow, and she had no problem robbing us of any spare change we had. Additionally, we would rub her back for looong lengths of time for a stick of gum, she gave me my first strawberry shortcake tape player, and dated a boy named"Leaf" and I went to visit him with her once- I remember thinking he had such a weird name. She made "Chinese Eggs" which I thought were so fancy and yet were scrambled eggs chopped up so much they were like little peas. I rode the bus to the mall with her and she was always the most fashion savvy- hence being queened "best dressed" in High School. And to this day, she is still the most perfectly dressed person that looks good in anything. It makes my sisters & I all pretty envious. Anyhow- back to my phone conversation with her today:

Me: I took Emma & Landon to the zoo this morning.
Julie: Hey, you have to be careful about zoos you know. Especially since that tiger got out of that cage (in San Fransisco over Christmas). I won't go there anymore.
Me: Yah, I know. I was thinking about that today. Then there was a "Code 13".
Julie: What's that?
Me: An alarm for a "large animal out of the exhibit" that required us to quickly be ushered to the Giraffe House for safety.
Julie: SEE! You can't go to the zoo anymore! They are not safe. If one animal gets out due to bad safety standards you have to assume the zoos have poor safety standards at the other exhibits. I can't believe that happened to you! I tell you, don't go back to the zoo. Ever. Again. I mean that animal could have got one of you! Oh my gosh!

She took another call and then called me back and said she was going to tell her husband. I told her I called Ryan at the Urgent Care and he said, "crazy things always happen to you." He lightly laughed at me especially since he KNOWS I followed that SF zoo case and honestly had been looking at the animal enclosures to see if they could get out. Now I know they can.

I will go back, but if there is ever EVER a "code 13" again I will run for my life. And that will be my last trip to that zoo. And, I won't tell Julie cause she will have said "I told you so" and besides, Emma could not stand the smell in the Giraffe House and that was pushing her to her limit- I would hate to get stuck there again.

12 comments:

Jocelyn said...

Hillarious! What a trip! I'm glad you or your kids weren't eaten and just had to endure some awful stink.

The Paske Family said...

So did you ever hear what animal was out and about? We have a free zoo that we go to and now I might not go anymore (free zoo's have to be even worse). I am still laughing about your Julie stories. I can picture Lief to a T. She had a heart drawn around him in her yearbook. She really is a fun aunt. I think we could get everyone to submit funny stories and we would end up with a whole book(: So how is mid may for a visit? My husband has a conference in Vegas and I am not going this year. Are you guys going to be around? I'll call you soon!

Carla said...

LOL I'm glad you're all safe... I'm in agreement with your Aunt Julie!

The Gainors said...

what are the chances? i have to tell you though- i am avid zoo-goer and have never had any such experience- let's hope it's just a fluke. we can't wait to see you guys in August.

Kathryn-nannygoat said...

Crazy Lacey!! The last time I was at the zoo I watched the male lion run at full speed towards the edge of his cliff and then stop. I really believe if he would have jumped he would have made it out. I felt sick to my stomach and hurried on as I made a mental plan of how I would save myself and children if the lion came after us, I was seriously scared!

Camille said...

that is crazy! what was the animal that got out? that tiger picture is such a scary one too :)

Reeses Pieces said...

Oh my gosh, that's so scary but the way you write about it is sooo funny. I love to read your posts. You're so creative with your writing. I'm glad you all made it out and weren't the animals lunch that day.

Noelle said...

I was at the zoo the same day, but I must have gotten there after all of the excitement or left before it. Either that or I just ignored it.

Gavin and Shawna said...

I've heard of code brown (poor nurses that have to clean that up) and code blue! But code 13 I was not aware of...but have taken a mental note. We don't have a zoo here in the lovely town of Corpus...but we have plenty of wild animals (rednecks, crazy stray dogs, dinosaur-sized mosquitos). I am just curious though, do you ever have a boring, old day? You seem to attract excitement!!

Jeffrey and Monica said...

OMG! That is crazy! I never thought about an animal getting out before. I always felt pretty safe, but I will think twice before we go see the bigs cats again. (not that you said it was a big cat but that's what I guessed it might have been) I'm glad everybody is ok!

The Favorite said...

Wow! blogging at it's best... some true and some COMPLETELY not true. (On my own behalf, and on various levels!) I call for a retraction! And on a side note, I’m pretty sure Emma would not be ‘Jonesing’ so hard to see live animals if she had one at home to play with! Instead she has to come within an inch of her life to see the one thing that all children love and crave. Sorry, I saw an opportune time to speak on my great and beautiful (but sadly deprived) nieces behalf as well as my own. Note to Sara: “whole book” ???? Ummmm. No. Paragraph maybe; on the fun part. You at college…. I need a forklift. (On the fun part!) ☺

Heather said...

I can't believe this--you truly always have the best stories! That would totally freak me out, but my boys would love it!